I got up early to get all my chores done and to enjoy the early sunrise and see Mt. Rainier in all her glory. Look at all the clouds boiling around her.
Went to catch the ferry to Whidbey and when I went through Everett I remembered reading in the paper that the Abraham Lincoln just returned to it's home port at the Everett Naval Station

USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), nicknamed "Abe", is the fifth Nimitz-class supercarrier in the United States Navy. She is the second Navy ship named after former president Abraham Lincoln. Her home port is Everett, Washington.
This is the best shot I could get of the ship. It is hard to get too close. MB

18 comments:
The mountain is nice, but the ship wins out this time. Glad you took the time. I still have pictures from about 1962 or 1963 when we went to see the "Mighty Mo" in Bremerton.
I actually considered walking down the street to see the mountain this morning, but no, I didn't. Didn't have to because I knew you'd show me how wonderful the sunrise was -:)
It was nice to travel around a bit with you...the mountain is gorgeous as usual. But the ship is rather exciting. I was in the Navy, but never on board a big carrier. (Of course, back then they were made of wood! ;-))
These things really are massive. Does the Navy ever allow visitors?
She is a whopper and quite beautiful. I did a tour on her on a discovery channel.
I'm interested in the ship of Navy, too.
As you know,
I regret that it's difficult to take the photo
at close range.
That ship overwhelms the dock and bay. Almost makes the mountain seem small. Great sighting MB. Hope your Mom is well.
Love you picture of the Mt. and the ship they are so big (both of them)
~~Hugs~~
I think you did a good job of capturing the ship. It's very hard to capture anything that large in a meaningful way, but you managed. Of course your picture of the mountain is wonderful as well.
Another fabulous image of the mountain, MB! You've really been getting some 'stunners'!
The Lincoln (as are all the Nimitz-class carriers) is a floating city, housing some 6,000!
She is only about 100 feet longer than the WWII-era Essex-class Hornet, but is almost twice as wide and carries twice the complement in crew.
For flight operations, carriers turn into the wind and run into the wind at Flank speed, which is over 30 knots, almost 40 mph! Now can you imagine something this big coming at you at 40 mph?!
Those super carriers AMAZE me - Literally a floating city... how can they build something sooo HUGE?!
Beautiful sunrise, too, as always
Everytime you mention Whidbey, I think about my brother being there in the Nay when I was a tiny one (back in the '40's).
Love seeing the big ship. We visited the USS North Carolina one year--and George was in 7th heaven.
Hugs,
Betsy
Oh wow, that's a HUUUUGE carrier!
I'm pleased with myself. I have finally located Stanwood! I was looking for Woodinville because that's where the sister shop of a French quilting shop is located and as I was googling around as you do on maps, I saw... Stanwood! ;-)Now I know where all the fabulous views come from!
Another awesome sunrise shot!
I never get tried of looking at that majestice mountain. Abe is one big ship. Peace
That first shot is superb..and I like getting to see the ship.
Oh, I did the 8 lists of 8--posted it for today and forgot to come tell you till now.
Holy moly! What a big ship! Living on a ship that large is beyond my comprehension. My mind is totally boggled.
Beautiful mountain and the ship is awesome! I grew up near the Mayport Navy Base in Florida and whenever we had any kids in our class who's father was stationed on one of the carriers, we always took a field trip to the base and they let us run all over the ship. It was so much fun!
It's nice to see the big ships, whatever the size. You did get it zoomed right in. You sunsets are so striking. I could use one about now!
Post a Comment