MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Smaller peaks

I show so many pictures of Mt. Rainier-14,200+ft and Mt. Baker 10,760 ft--that I thought I would show one of the smaller peaks in the Cascade Range. this is Mt. Pilchuck, a mere 5324ft at the summit
The word "Pilchuck" comes from the Native American name "red water," for a creek in the area. Mount Pilchuck was likely among the "long ridge of snowy mountains" as described in the journal of English explorer George Vancouver during the spring of 1792. This peak stands well apart from the main Cascade Mountain range.

In 1918, the Forest Service built a fire lookout on Mount Pilchuck's summit. The Lookout was staffed until the 1960s. From 1957 to 1980, Washington State Parks administered a ski area here that was run by a concessionaire. The ski area closed in 1980 due to poor annual snow conditions.

The area currently is managed in partnership with the USFS and Everett Mountaineers. The Forest Service maintains the trail and trailhead, and State Parks and the Mountaineers maintain the historic lookout



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose great beautiful landscapes are a challenge like everything is. It is just this one of your is so beautiful.

Unknown said...

Great shots with different atmospheres. Beautiful!Very interesting information too.

Chuck Pefley said...

Nice to have a name with another peak. I'm always at a loss for mountain names past Baker and Rainier ... generally resort to "Cascade Range" since I don't know.

EG CameraGirl said...

Too bad about not enough snow to keep the ski runs open. It's a good thing there are groups willing to maintain the trails.

Frankie / Nick said...

It appears that we both have pretty well the same weather right now, dull and misty. We will get some snow on ground level one of these days, which I am sure you will miss, lol.

Tanya Breese said...

Beau-TEE-ful! Hey, I have a horse named Bucky too :)

George Townboy said...

Beautiful shots, MB! And great history, Teach! LOL

Alpicks Treasures said...

What a wonderful place you live in. Enjoy all you can.

Jane Hards Photography said...

These are beautiful but that second one is a real golden wonder.

Linda Reeder said...

We are blessed here in western Washington. So much beauty.

Carletta said...

Love that first one with just the peak of the barn and silo showing.

crittoria said...

What a pretty mountain! I can't decide which of these photos I like better...they're both wonderful shots!