MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

They're back

Every year--October through March--Snow Geese, Trumpter Swan, Tundra Swan, Eagles and other Raptors flood the skagit and Stillaguamish Valleys to stay the winter. The farmers aren't always happy about this because of the increasing numbers of birds but have co-existed for many years. If they don't head back north by March the Snow Geese start eating the Spring crops. They are beautiful and awesome to see and as a sidenote a great tourist attraction. MB





16 comments:

Raquel Sabino Pereira said...

ABSOLUTY WONDERFUL!!
It is one of my favourite posts EVER in the whole blogosphere!!!!!!!!

Kim said...

Wowie zowie MB, these are amazing sights to those of us who have yet to see anything like it. I remember reading an account of an early traveler through California's giant San Joaquin Valley who said the sky was dark with gigantic flocks of birds for hours. Those flocks are gone now. Your shots give me some idea of how amazing a phenomenon these migrating flocks and the raptors that love them are to see. I hope you'll give us a lot of glimpses of these flocks while they are about your neck of the woods. It's really exciting to see!
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

Unknown said...

Wow! The 1st photo is fantastic! Not even Hitchcock got so many birds for his movie! :-)
Beautiful!

Gayle said...

Wow, that is quite a sight!

Belgrade Daily Photo said...

That giant flock is INSANE!

Jilly said...

How fabulous! I can't imagine how it must be to be in the thick of a flock like this. What a privilege. the noise must be something too. Wonderful shots.

I left a note for you on the Dog Blog.

Linda Reeder said...

I know about the birds flocking to your valleys, of course, but your photos are fabulous in showing what it looks like.

EG CameraGirl said...

All those beautiful snow geese in one place at once! Plus trumpeter swans and eagles? Thanks for posting these photos, MB!

G. Crappy said...

Amazing!! And beautiful shots too.

Anonymous said...

Gosh. I wish we had birds like that around here for a day or two.

Flying Solo said...

WOW!
I bet they do a lot of noise and crapp too!

Take the photos you want, I'll be back to give you previous links of my posts about that church.

Flying Solo said...

I only found another one: http://lisboa366.blogspot.com/search/label/S%C3%A3o%20Domingos

Marcel said...

Superb!!!!!!!!!!

Maria said...

Really superb, the first phot is my favourite, it is absolutely woderful!
I've never seen such a gigantic flock of birds, there is nothing comparable here with us. We have some small birds like swallows as migrating birds, and some storks, ah, and there are about 100.000 Siberian rooks coming to Vienna every year (and some of them forgetting to fly back), but that's all.
What an exciting picture! Ecology seems to be OK in your part of the world!

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic!
What a sight ....

mouse (aka kimy) said...

amazing....I've got goosebumps imagining what it would be like to be near this mass of birdlife!!

thanks - love it!!