I first saw this little building out of the corner of my eye as I went past a dead end road. Of course I had to go investigate. I thought it was a vintage church for my Holy Houses blog. As I parked in front of it a little lady from across the road came bustling over to tell me the whole story. She and her husband had been married there in 1955 and he had attended school there until the 8th grade. The school opened its doors in 1891 and at the time had two stories. The parents were afraid, because of high winds, the school would blow over so in 1908 the top floor was removed. Classes were held until1 957 when Rosario School consolidated with Anacortes School district. Deeded to the Skagit County Historical the Rosario School remains an excellent example of a turn of the century one room school.
Out in the woods are the two necessary buildings for the school children.

9 comments:
So white and beautiful in the middle og«f the green!
Those little ones are the bathrooms?
Yes, those are the two little outhouses. MB
Hallo MB, thank you for your visit! The little old schoolhouse is very beautiful and it looks well preserved! And the outhouses - how funny!
Have a nice weekend!
Hey
That is cool. My father told me about the one room school he went to but alas none survived in Smith County. Did you get to go inside? Does it have old school desk with ink wells? Thanks for sharing. Peace
Cute little church and your still green there, how nice! I got your email about the swap and your already on my card list but I guess Allison has it all set so let's see who we get and go from there! Glad to see you leaving comments, enjoy them! I'm sorry I don't get here often but I do love catching up on your wonderful shots!
Someone is taking very good care of the buildings. So the school was used till 1957 and the outhouses too, I guess. Hmmm.
Greetings from Juneau (Alaska) Daily Photo!
It's been a while since I've had a chance to visit. I've enjoyed catching up.
You're an explorer like me!:)
Thanks for stopping by the Rosario School to find out more. It's always nice to learn bits of history.
The one room school house reminds me of reading the book "Tisha." It's about a young lady who goes to Chicken, Alaska (yes, there really is a town called Chicken)to teach. It's wonderful!
I went to school in a one-roomer til grade nine - then it was into the big city where there were dozens of rooms to get lost in :) We had out houses too until the final year when they added on washrooms to the school. Now it's a museum place.
Great info MB and wonderful captures.
What a precious story and a rare find in the woods.
Post a Comment