MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Wet and wild--birds love it!

We have been have heavy rains the last few days and with the warmer weather and snow melt in the mountains we did have some flooding in the Stilly Valley  of Stanwood.  The waters are receding now and the birds are out in numbers enjoying finding goodies in the mud.
Today is Wild bird Wednesday and to view some beautiful birds please visit:
The Trumpeter Swans rejoice in the mud.

This guy is ready to jump in the mud too.
This Eagle was one of several fishing.
These ducks love the mud.  Naturally.
http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com/2010/12/world-bird-wednesday-iv.html#comments

25 comments:

Pat Ulrich said...

great collection of birds in this post -- looks like a great outing!

cieldequimper said...

Okay, now I know.

tapirgal said...

You have the most amazing birds! You could give ecotours in your own back yard.

Arija said...

What a great place to forage in. It never ceases to amaze me how much rich nourishing goodness mother nature provides in the most inauspicious places.
Looks like you had a great time as well.

Empty Nester said...

Very nice photos! People tell me that we have eagles close by but I haven't seen one...yet.

Jim Klenke said...

I bet the birds will love it when the water goes down a bit.

EG CameraGirl said...

It seems so strange that swans, which are so often thought of as elegant birds, like to stand in mud.

Janice Thomson said...

Miss that weather zone with its still green grass and all the bird sounds. Here under 2 feet of snow it's cold and quiet. Neat pics MB

Unknown said...

Great series of varied birds. Boom & Gary Of The vermilon River.

holdingmoments said...

Lovely selection of birds.

Springman said...

I saw the video of your raging Stillaguamish River a little lower on your page and was dumbfounded by the shear power of the rains. And now to see the aftermath in terms of the feeding opportunity for wildlife and not so much the human loss, which I would not try to minimise, is enlightening to me. Thanks!

Gaelyn said...

What, no picture of you playing in the mud? ;)

These are all great shots. Water will bring out life.

Unknown said...

Lovely set of bird shots!

Lowell said...

All kinds of birdies playing in the mud! Fantastic...can't believe you can just go stand out there and take photos of eagles. Sheesh! That's too easy! I'm jealous, in case you didn't know!

But I guess floods can brings some benefit to some critters.

Re your question on Colorado - aw, as I recall some of the markings on those Salida buildings indicated they come from the 1890s...but I don't about anyone of them in particular...

theconstantwalker said...

Great images of your local patch...

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh what great pictures of your 'wet and wild' birds, Mary Beth... Love all of them --but those swans are gorgeous .. And of course, so is the Eagle. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Sally in WA said...

Nice shots, MB!

George said...

You got some wonderful shots of the birds enjoying the mud.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

I've got to get over there this year to see the swans. Now that I'm in town more maybe I can. - Margy

Magpie said...

That is quite a lot of mud. The birds seems to be having a blast though.

Anonymous said...

LoL! We used to ride 4 wheelers & race in the mud & sling it all over the place... we'd get sooo muddy & it was sooooooo much fun!!! I certainly see why all the birdies do it, too! =)

Tina Leavy said...

so wonderful that you get to see these birds up close. how very pretty. thanks ever so much for stopping by my blog and checking out our new homestead. we are really loving it. have only been in the house 2 days so everything is still in a bit of disarray, but we are getting there on sorting it all out.
Wanted to wish you a very Merry Christmas. can you drop me an email with your addy and I'll send my new addy I'd love to stay in touch.
hugs,
Tina

VP said...

I'm sure they like it. As I have told you before, I'm amazed by the variety of your birds...

ron said...

what kind camera do you use?

Larry said...

Great shots of your birds. I love the swans, the hawk and especially the Northern Pintails!