MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Sundogs and sunrise for Sky Watch

I couldn't decide which shot to post so I said to heck with it I'll post both. Enjoy! MB


The sun was just coming up over the trees and with the odd shaped cloud above it, I thought it looked so different.




Sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion, plural parhelia, from "beside the sun"; also called a mock sun) is an atmospheric phenomenon that creates bright spots of light in the sky, often on a luminous ring or halo on either side of the sun.

Sundogs may appear as a colored patch of light to the left or right of the sun, 22° (or more) distant and at the same distance above the horizon as the sun, and in ice halos. They can be seen anywhere in the world during any season. In Europe and North America, they might be seen as often as twice a week but they are not always obvious or bright. They are best seen and at their most conspicuous when the sun is low. They are caused by the sun passing through ice crystals in a cloud, similar to a rainbow caused by the sun passing through water drops in a cloud.


To see more great skies around the world or to participate go to www.skyley.blogspot.com

22 comments:

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Interesting -- I've never heard the term sundogs. Never too old to learn. Your pictures are beautiful -- learning something new is an added bonus

Lee Spangler said...

You are totally amazing. How you constantly find new and interesting subjects to post! I eagerly for your blog every day.
fondly, Lee

Sally in WA said...

Cool, cool, cool! I'm glad you posted them all. The shape of the cloud in the first one is amazing. This time of year it is just a tad too dark on the way to work to shoot pics. Come on Winter Solstice so we can start reversing these long winter days!

Gaelyn said...

Tough choice, comma over the sunrise, or sundogs. Glad you shared them all MB.

Don and Krise said...

Hey! Stop using all those big words. I confuse easily! Actually, thanks for the cool info. That really is interesting.

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

A very unusual cloud, to say the least.
Melbourne Daily Photo

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

A most informative Sky Watch and STUNNING photos! I want to see a sundog but don't want to suffer the cold! Might not have a choice this weekend!

brattcat said...

I particularly love that first shot with the punctuated cloud, but I also loved your illustration and explanation of sundogs.

B SQUARED said...

I really like the first shot. There is something very hypnotic about it.

Joe Todd said...

I have seen a few sundogs but never been able to get a mgood photo. I'm really impressed you have actually stayed in a firetower. I didn't even know it was possible until I did some research for my post

cieldequimper said...

Learning something new again and in such a brilliant way!

NitWit1 said...

Love the sundogs. Long time since I heard that word!

Lowell said...

How neat, Mary Beth. I've heard of Sun Dogs but never knew what they were...

And that is a funny looking cloud!

All of these were taken from your deck, I suppose?

Anonymous said...

Very very cool! I really like how smooth your photos are, they look incredible!

Lois said...

Fantastic shots and very interesting information! I've never heard of this before.

Unknown said...

Fantastic that first shot!

Artlover said...

Interesting. I´ve seen something similar. Great capture of these phenomenon.

brian stout said...

very cool! i'd never heard of these before either! the strange shaped cloud is weird looking, cool pic!

Linda Reeder said...

I love that first pic. The cloud is like an accent mark over the sun, stressing that, yes, in fact, even on this cold winter day, I am making my usual appearence.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Beautiful Mary Beth... I had never heard the term, sundog, before. That is so interesting... Thanks for sharing such beauty with us.

Hugs,
Betsy

EG CameraGirl said...

Beautiful! And thanks for the explanation. ;-)

George said...

I enjoyed your pictures of the sundogs and the information about them which you provided. Of course, that first picture is wonderful as well.