MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Island Time with Great Grandma

School is out for 'Winter' Break and I have the 2 youngest grandboys for several days. So today we went to Whidbey Island to visit their Great Grandmother. We visited awhile and decided to go to Double Bluff Beach I know it is cold and windy out but still a nice day and the beach is always interesting. So here is GGma aged 93. and my Grands Mike 19, Kylee 15, Brett 11 and Bradley 9. They are a good bunch and we always have fun.





We found some Sunflower Sea Stars. Kylee waded out to pick them up so I could take some pictures. They were huge and had many arms.
Sunflower sea stars are common in the Pacific from Alaska to Southern California and are largest in Puget Sound, (this area is Puget Sound) British Columbia and Alaska. They generally inhabit low subtidal and intertidal areas rich in seaweed or kelp. They do not venture into high- and mid-tide areas because the body structure is fleshy and requires water to support it. Aren't they cool.





15 comments:

tapirgal said...

Thanks for the great photos of everyone. It's nice to meet your family and share a day at the beach without getting too cold! I don't think Kylee much likes holding the sea star, but I'm glad she did it, because it's great fun to see it! I saw one in the rocks south of Astoria one day and was quite surprised by it. They are remarkable critters!

cieldequimper said...

Hello from France everybody! Nice to meet you, especially Great Grandma in the festive spirit!
I used to love playing with sea stars as a kid though I think mine were a bit smaller! ;-)
Happy Christmas Eve!

brattcat said...

Thank you for these photographs of the family and the day at the beach. What a handsome family it is, too, from eldest to youngest! Have a lovely holiday!

NitWit1 said...

I'm sure Great Grandma really appreciated your visit and time at the beach this time of year probably was exciting for the guys.

I've never seen such a huge sea star.
Merry Christmas

Lois said...

They are way cool! I love walking on the beach in the wintertime. You never know what you will see! Sometimes around these parts you will find tiny little seahorses.

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

Lovely photos - I'm not sure about that red thing with all those legs though!
Wishing you a very merry Christmas and all the best for the coming year.
Cheers.
Melbourne Daily Photo

George said...

I don't think I've ever seen a sea star before, at least not as large as the one Kylee is holding. You have beautiful grandchildren (you knew that, didn't you?). I like your Mom's hat. I'm glad you all had a good time.

deb said...

What precious grands you have! and Great Granma is beautiful! Loved going to the beach with you, whao is that ever a big one!!
*hugs*deb

Betty said...

Love the pictures of your G-kids and your Mom. That is one big sea star I have never seen on before.
~~Hugs~~

Alpicks Treasures said...

Hope you enjoyed you visit with your Mom, Its always time to charish. What neat pictures of Kaylee and that sea star. Merry Christmas!

Lady Di Tn said...

Great photos and Kylee is a good sport to wade out and pick up the that monster sea star. GG looks happy with all the attention. Loved the snow photos in the previous post. I am waiting for the kitchen to clear out so I can make the banana pudding for tomorrows dinner. Not good in a crowded kitchen. LOL Merry Christmas and Peace

B SQUARED said...

Looks like they belong on a Christmas tree.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

That is so neat, Mary Beth, to have four of your grandchildren with you this time of year. Love seeing your mother also.. She's a cutie pie---just like your grands!!!!!

I have never seen a Sunflower Sea Star before. GORGEOUS....

Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Betsy

K Soucy said...

Wow! Lovely bunch of photos and story about the day. Slice of life. Love it.

EG CameraGirl said...

What HUGE sea stars!

I'm so impressed that your mother is 93 and out there enjoying her great grandkids!