MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Sunday, October 11, 2009

They're Ba-ack!

The Snow Geese leave their Spring and Summer homes in the Arctic Tundra, Greenland and Siberia and feed their way down North America. In this flyway they arrive in the Skagit Valley in October to winter over until March (that's when the farmers hope they leave). They feed on harvested farmland. In March or April they wing their way back to the Arctic Tundra to breed in May and raise their families.

I had been thinking about the Snow Geese and knew it was time to check out Fir Island, in Skagit Valley, where they usually stay. The earliest I have seen them was last year on Oct. 8th and now today Oct. 11th. Always quite a sight and in the next month their numbers will increase. Last year they estimated 90,000 to 100,000. The Trumpter Swan and Eagles and other raptors, from the North, will be arriving soon. My camera will be ready!! MB




20 comments:

Don and Krise said...

Wonderful photos. I just learned something too. I didn't realize that's where they went, and in such numbers too. Thanks for the lesson MB!

raf said...

Great to see your photos of the Snow Geese once again flooding the fields in your valley. Beautiful, MB!

tapirgal said...

Those great flocks are spectacular! Thanks for the images and the info. We don't get them quite like that here, but we do get some nice birds in the winter. I'm looking forward to them coming back!

Yes, I live one block from the Maritime Musuem, and can see it from my front door. Next time you're down this way, let me know!

Jim Klenke said...

beautiful shots.

B SQUARED said...

I wonder if there is any correlation between arrival dates and the severity of winter?

Unknown said...

This is amazing! Great pics!

Gaelyn said...

How very cool to have the Snow Geese winter in your neighborhood. Great captures. Look forward to more.

Unseen Rajasthan said...

Beautiful capture !! The photos are fantastic !! Thanks for sharing..Unseen Rajasthan

Betty said...

Beautiful pictures. There are a couple of places on the way to Lynden that they gather for a while. I really enjoy seeing them. Maybe my timing will be so that I can take some pictures too.Like your collage too.
~~ Hugs ~~

Lowell said...

That is just amazing. Who would think? Merci!

Lady Di Tn said...

Too bad you cannot post the sound with the photos. Amazing and how lucky you are to see such a glorious site. Loved the random photos of Mt. Baker trip. Peace

Lois said...

They are absolutely gorgeous! I've never seen Snow Geese before. Lovely shots!

George said...

You certainly captured a lot of birds in your pictures and collage. It's hard to imagine that many birds all in one area. I understand why the farmers are glad to see them leave in the spring. I look forward to more pictures in the days ahead.

Anonymous said...

They sure are & there's oh so many of them! They sure make for a great picture taking

cieldequimper said...

I wish I could see them for real. Thanks, it's good to see wildlife carrying on...

EG CameraGirl said...

WOW! There really are a ton of them. I can see why the farmers are happy to see them go in the spring!

Linda Reeder said...

I bet they leave lots of fertilizer in the fields.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary Beth, I can only imagine your joy seeing the Snow Geese. They are so beautiful...

That's how I felt seeing the little Grosbeaks come back through here recently.

Hugs,
Betsy

Lee Spangler said...

Yeah it's a date. I always return like a snow goose in the 2nd week of June on my way to Canada!

Rose said...

I am waiting on the CanadaGeese myself. They should about be heading this way I would think.