You see lots of windmills and murals on wall. Very nice.
Lynden is the second largest city in Whatcom County, Washington, and arguably the second most northwestern city in the Contiguous United States, after Blaine.
Named and established in 1874 on the site of the Noocksack Indian village Squahalish (Nooksack: Sqwehálich), the town began as a pioneer settlement headed by Holden and Phoebe Judson and is today home to one of the largest CRC Dutch American communities in the nation.
Lynden is approximately five miles south of the U.S.-Canadian border, with Lynden-Aldergrove operation and port of entry hours between 8:00 a.m. and midnight.
The population was 9,020 at the 2000 census. Residents of Lynden are known as "Lyndenites".
Lynden is also home to the Northwest Washington Fair




15 comments:
Wow... The last photo will become my newest wallpaper... You can feel the breeze and the power of the mountain!!!! Beautiful!!!
I like your view better of the Mt. The windmills are serious windmills. My minds eye thinks of them as spiner on towers but these are glorious. Peace
It is amazing the things you learn on CDP.
Just like the real thing! Mt Baker is gorgeous.
I have heard it existed, great to read that there is a Dutch cultural presence in the U.S....
It probably looks better..;)
Those are the real old "moulins"! It's a beautiful part of the country. Don't know why you have trouble with accessing TCM - but I know blogger does have its own set of "issues". Thanks for your kind words!
So that means you are just an hour from the Canadian order, did I get that right? Cool!
Many people of Dutch ancestry have settled in this part of Canada too, partly because Canadians liberated the Netherlands during the Second World War and then married their girls and brought them home. ;-)
What a neat little town, MB. Do they wear wooden shoes there???? ha...
We have a little English community north of us (Rugby, TN) which still has an English flavor. They offer shows and concerts and festivals all throughout the year. We went one year near Christmas, and it was wonderful.
I keep meaning to ask you if that home in your header is YOURS. How gorgeous that home ---looking toward the mountain. Wow!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
I had no idea we had any windmills in this country. Very nice photos!
There's just something about windmills that is so fascinating. Great shots MB. That mountain one is nothing short of fabulous.
Awesome windmills, MB. I've never been to Lynden. Guess I should go and check it out.
It was quite a while ago that I visited Lynden. I am reading a book that takes place in Holland in the 1700's, and I visited the Netherlands last year in April. I loved it.
I was just thinking of all the lynden trees along the canals in Amsterdam. They were blooming and they made me sneeze, just like my trees here at home are doing.
Wow, look where word association can take you.
I've been to those fairgrounds before. It's a cute little town for sure.
That is such a unique town! We really enjoyed our time there. Thanks for the great memories.
I would dearly love to see an actual windmill!
Post a Comment