MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Blue Jay

Actually this is a Steller's Jay (Cyanocitta stelleri). A native to Western North America. They are fairly common out here even wintering in my trees and neighboring forest. They will rob your bird feeders and are noisy and also one of the most intelligent birds. They mimic many different sounds. Sounds of other birds, even hawks. They sit in my sycamore trees and meow like cats. A very pretty bird with brilliant blue tail feathers and a head crest. Where this one is sitting I guess I's better mow the lawn.



13 comments:

cieldequimper said...

What a lovely bird. It wouldn't stand out against the blue sky as it does against green grass!

Unknown said...

The bird is absolutely beautiful and I love the contrast with all that green (1st shot)!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow MD... Your jays are MUCH prettier than ours. Yours actually looks like a Cardinal with different colors!!!!! Gorgeous!

Have a wonderful Sunday.
Hugs,
Betsy

Lowell said...

We don't have these here, but they look very much like those my daughter sees in the mountains of southwestern Colorado...

Nice shots.

Nancy Jo said...

Isn't he pretty. Are you wearing army boots and a red plaid wool coat while out tromping around in the wilds?
I will be checking to see if the violets you sent me make a return this year. It should be soon if they made it.
Nancy Jo

Rose said...

Wow oh wow! Is he gorgeous or what!

EG CameraGirl said...

They do look a lot like blue jays, don't they? Steller jays are a little prettier, I think. ;-)

BeanTownBoy said...

That's awesome! Great educational post, MB!

Lady Di Tn said...

A handsome bird. Meow like a cat. Wow, they are smart. Prince has had to mow our grass four times already. Peace

Frankie / Nick said...

Well we haven't seen many blue jays around here, but the finches must of same character. They are destructive and aggressive to other birds and we try to discourage them from visiting, although not always successful.

Janice Thomson said...

There was a pair of these here last fall. The blue is such a striking colour. Great shots again MB.

Flying Solo said...

Beautiful shots, what great colors specially the first one.

Daily Chicago Photo said...

Great looking bird and photo. Blue jays are just starting to come back to Chicago. I just started a Chicago bird photo blog along with my Chicago daily photos. I'm learning that there are a lot of different birds in Chicago.