Today Stanwood is a farming community. Logging and fishing are almost 'used to bes'. Stanwood's largest employer is Twin City Foods (www,twincityfoods.com)and one of the largest frozen food processing plants in the nation--maybe the world. Their web site is very interesting and the video on the 'about us' page is good.
The farmers are busy right now and soon the sprouts will be coming up and before you know it -it will be harvest time. June for peas.
In one of the photos the white on the ground is lime--it sweetens the soil and is used when planting beets and spinach to name a couple.




12 comments:
TWIN CITY FOODS
Since beginning as a small frozen vegetable processing company in Stanwood, WA in 1943, Twin City Foods has grown to become one of the nation's largest independent processors of frozen vegetables.
It all started with strong vision and the idea that individually quick frozen (IQF) vegetables would become the wave of the future. Employing a strong work ethic and unwavering commitment to quality, our founders embarked on a journey that has evolved into the industry-leading provider of private label products.
Today, we bring the highest quality products possible to domestic and international markets encompassing retail, foodservice, industrial, export, institutional, and organic customers.
Twin City Foods owned by you?
Huge tractor on the road ... but I guess you don't have lot's of traffic so it will be easily passed by a car.
Do they use lots of chemicals?
If I saw the lime in the field I would have guessed it was bad. Nice that a small local business can grow into one of the largest in the country.
I feel so ignorant when it comes to farming. We have a small garden and I have gained such an appreciation for farmers and all that they do.
CQ--
The vegetables are continually monitored in the field to insure minimal use of herbicides and pesticides farm chemicals are kept to an absolute minimum. MB
I just discovered your blog today and I am going to add it to my list of blogs I like to read!
I am in Iowa and I felt quite at home seeing that Case tractor pulling a disk and the John Deere with a field cultivator on the road -- looks like where I live except we don't have mountains...!
In my world, the farmers are busy planting corn and soybeans.
I really enjoyed all the photos of the tulips! That is a LOT of tulips!
Take care and I enjoy your blog.
Mmmm. Fresh peas.
Many of the fields in Stanwood must be planted already. Ours are just recent;y plowed.
I was going to ask about the white ground before I read it was lime! That's interesting - I didn't know they did that!
I admire farmers so much... I never think our farmers ---all over this country--get a fair deal. They deserve so much more money for their crops than they get.. They have to work SO hard.
Thanks for sharing more about your gorgeous community, Mary Beth.
Hugs,
Betsy
I didn't realize that is why the lime was used. Very interesting info MB.
Looks to be quite an operation...the tractor on the road brings back a lot of memories from my younger years in Minnesota!
Post a Comment