MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Swamp Lanterns

Skunk Cabbage is here and that means that SPRING is really arrived! My Mother calls them Swamp Lanterns. Over the course of Spring the leaves get huge. In earlier times the large leaves were used to wrap meat for cooking---but don't touch the flower.

Western Skunk Cabbage (Lysichiton americanus), sometimes called yellow skunk cabbage, is a plant found in swamps and wet woods, along streams and in other wet areas of the Pacific Northwest, where it is one of the few native species in the arum family, together with the duckweeds. The plant grows from rhizomes. The leaves are the largest of any native plant in the region. Its flowers are produced in a spadix contained within a large, bright yellow or yellowish green spathe. It is among the first flowers to appear in spring. The skunk cabbage also produces heat. During the Winter the heat it produces melts the snow around it so that it is able to survive. Although similarly named, the plant is easy to distinguish from the Eastern Skunk Cabbage (Symplocarpus foetidus), another species in the arum family found in eastern North America.

The plant is called Skunk Cabbage because of the malodorous, distinctive "skunky" odor that it emits. This odor will permeate the area where the plant grows, and can be detected even in old, dried specimens. The foul odor attracts its pollinators, scavenging flies and beetles. Other common names include Yellow Skunk Cabbage and Swamp Lantern.













11 comments:

Sally in WA said...

Lots of skunk cabbage there! I noticed some others coming up earlier this week. Definitely that time of year for them.

And yes, we should meet sometime. :-)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

What a pretty plant (love that yellow color) --but if it stinks like skunks, then I don't want it here. We have enough skunks as it is! ha ha...

BUT--for you, Spring is here... Yeah!!!! I hope after this next cold spell, we'll have Spring for sure and this time, to stay!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Walker said...

Very cool, lovely color.

Lady Di Tn said...

The flower reminds me of the Peace Lilly flowers that we have as house plants. Luckly no odor from these. Peace

Deborah Godin said...

Neat post, I learned a lot. I did smell skunk cabbage once a long time ago and didn't like it much, have avoided it ever since (hate skunk smell!). Makes me wonder how hard up a person would have to be for meat wrap to use the leaves...

cieldequimper said...

Those are very, very pretty, love the cheerful yellow.

Kim said...

How lovely these are. I like your mom's name for them. My husband and his best friend used to hike up to a place in in the mountains of SoCa called Skunk Cabbage Meadow, and I still marvel at the photos of them near those large leaves. I've not seen this early growth before. Very beautiful.
Happy spring!
-Kim

Jim Klenke said...

Reminds me of some kind of alien life form growing in the swamps.

Linda Reeder said...

one of my favorite signs of spring! And as ofter as I have seen them, I can't recall ever smelling them.

Lowell said...

Most colorful and interesting; not sure if I've seen skunk cabbage before...

I've seen lots of skunks, though - mostly of the human variety.

EG CameraGirl said...

The skunk cabbage looks so pretty in the swamp. Our version looks quite different. I'll have to take some photos to show you, but that won't be for a few weeks yet.