This guy or gal loves to hang around the suet feeder.
Red-breasted Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus ruber) a very cool bird. Adults have a red head and upper chest; they have a white lower belly and rump. They are black on the back and wings with bars; they have a large white wing patch. Red-Breasted Sapsuckers nest in tree cavities. Northern birds migrate to the southern parts of the range; birds on the coast are often permanent residents. Like other sapsucker, these birds drill holes in trees and eat the sap as well as insects attracted to it. They sometimes catch insects in flight; they also eat seeds and berries.
A sapsucker’s tongue is adapted with stiff hairs for collecting the sap. Red-Breasted Sapsuckers visit the same tree multiple times, drilling holes in neat horizontal rows. A bird will leave and come back later, when the sap has started flowing from the holes. Repeated visits over an extended period of time can actually kill the tree. The insects attracted to the sap are also consumed, and not only by sapsuckers. Rufous Hummingbirds, for example, have been observed to follow the movements of sapsuckers and take advantage of this food source.
To see more fabulous Birds go to http://www.paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/ and enjoy!!
Red-breasted Sapsucker (Sphyrapicus ruber) a very cool bird. Adults have a red head and upper chest; they have a white lower belly and rump. They are black on the back and wings with bars; they have a large white wing patch. Red-Breasted Sapsuckers nest in tree cavities. Northern birds migrate to the southern parts of the range; birds on the coast are often permanent residents. Like other sapsucker, these birds drill holes in trees and eat the sap as well as insects attracted to it. They sometimes catch insects in flight; they also eat seeds and berries.
A sapsucker’s tongue is adapted with stiff hairs for collecting the sap. Red-Breasted Sapsuckers visit the same tree multiple times, drilling holes in neat horizontal rows. A bird will leave and come back later, when the sap has started flowing from the holes. Repeated visits over an extended period of time can actually kill the tree. The insects attracted to the sap are also consumed, and not only by sapsuckers. Rufous Hummingbirds, for example, have been observed to follow the movements of sapsuckers and take advantage of this food source.
To see more fabulous Birds go to http://www.paying-ready-attention-gallery.blogspot.com/ and enjoy!!

12 comments:
Oh, he's a handsome one!
Great photo of a beautiful bird.
It's a lovely bird. I wonder if it likes maple syrup, lol! :-)
Re my plate: yes it was good.
Re. the book: I saw it in English but I'm not too sure it's available in the USA...
Beautiful shot of the Sapsucker!
Must be great to have birds like this in your garden - we have no woodpeckers of any sort in Australia.
Cheers and thanks for the link to WBW.
Stewart M
wow, oh wow! have only seen the yellow-bellied sapsucker before!
Perfect against the green background. Great capture!
Looks and sounds like a red-headed woodpecker to me! But then, while we have lots of saps in Florida, I don't think we have any sapsuckers.
Beautiful bird, Mary Beth. We don't have them here --or at least, I have never seen one.
Hugs,
Betsy
Very pretty bird. I don't think we have them here. :( I guess no sap trees?
I appreciate seeing this closeup photo and learning about the sapsucker's habits. Have a woodpecker who comes to the same tree in my yard and "works". I'll have to compare with your photo since I haven't been able to get a real close shot.
This dude is very handsome!
Post a Comment