MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Froghopper~~~~~~~~~~Macro Monday

 This is a Spit Bug or others may say Spittlebug or Froghopper.  They make a foam on a new plant leaf to hide themselves while they suck the juice from the plant.  Since they are slow movers and easy to wash off they are only a pest and don't really do much harm.  Unless you have a mass infestation.  They hop from plant to plant like a frog would.
To see more Macro objects go to http://lisaschaos.com/?s=macro+monday  and enjoy!!

11 comments:

Herding Cats said...

Amazing to see one close up. Great picture.

Jan n Jer said...

Nice capture...never seen one of these insects before.

Gaelyn said...

Dang they're small. Nice macro.

TexWisGirl said...

thanks for the education!

Donna said...

I didn't know this! SO tiny too...nice shot!

cieldequimper said...

Oh so that's the foam I sometimes see!

CDH said...

Ick! :)

Rose said...

When we were kids, we called it snakespit...even though we knew it was caused by a bug.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stewart M said...

We used to call the foam Cuckoo Spit - as it turned up at about the same time as cuckoos.

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

PS: its a green meme!

Lowell said...

I learn something new every time I visit your blog. Spittlebug! It certainly is appropriately named.

I know some bloghoppers but never had seen a froghopper before!