MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Lummi Nation for Mosaic Monday

I took these pictures at the Lummi Nations Reservation.  Except the Salmon Woman and Rraven totem.  It is further up the road at Squalicum.  The carver of that totem is Morrie Alexander Lummi carver.  Enlarge the picture to read the legend of  Raven and Salmon Woman.
In their own words,
"We are Lummi. We are Coast Salish people with a rich history, culture and traditions. We are fishers, hunters, gatherers and harvesters of nature's abundance. We envision our homeland as a place where we enjoy an abundant, safe, and healthy life in mind, body, society, environment, space, time and spirituality; where all are encouraged to succeed and none are left behind."


To enjoy more mosaics go to http://www.dearlittleredhouse.blogspot.com/ and enjoy>

23 comments:

Gaelyn said...

Good way to live. He's a marvelous carver.

Vee said...

Wonderful art work with the rich colors...I enjoyed reading the story of how the salmon came to be.

George said...

Thanks for the beautiful totems and the story of the Raven and Salmon Woman.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

The wood carvings are magnificent.

Randy said...

Beautiful totems.

Anonymous said...

Love this collage, my friend at work is Lummi, she would enjoy this as much as I do! Best Regards.

A Garden of Threads said...

Stunning mosaic, love the bottom right photo. Take care and have a great week.

Snap said...

I love seeing the totems and reading about the culture and traditions. Very special.

Unknown said...

I have never seen a totem pole like that in real life. Very cool!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary Beth, What an interesting post.. I love hearing about the Lummi Nation. Great mosaic..
Hugs,
Betsy

Magpie said...

Wow, I want to belong...are they adopting? Seriously.

cieldequimper said...

How far up? I haven't checked the distance yet but I had definitely put it on the to-go list. Love, love, love this one MB.

Pondside said...

The Coast Salish people live here too, and we are lucky to enjoy many pieces of wonderful carving in our communities.

VP said...

I like the mosaic, never ignore a salmon woman!

Unknown said...

I love totems and these look really great.

Lowell said...

A splendid collage, MB. I've always enjoyed totems, and these are especially nice, particularly when one knows a little bit about them. I wasn't able to get the picture big enough to read the legend but I'm sure I can find it on line.

Ah, re your comment on Stone Creek: No, I don't grab a cuppa coffee and sit in the driveway like you do on your deck and I don't have a beautiful mountain to photograph, so I have to make do with what I have...and I will on occasion take a cuppa coffee out on the driveway to look around and see if anything interesting develops. Occasionally, it does.

Yes, I did go golfing yesterday...sprinkled a little bit and no rain to speak of. It was chilly, though - mid-60s.

Lowell said...

Re your comment on Ocala DP: I don't know the reason the fire rescue truck flew by us, but it turned (from the left lane) right into a residential area at the lights which you can see in the distance. He was in a hurry, though. I'd guess it was a medical problem as no other fire trucks followed.

Unknown said...

terrific art. great collage.

Linda Reeder said...

Wonderful totems. I love Northwest Native American art!

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Great photos!!!

Janice Thomson said...

So neat you added a pic of the carver too - enjoyed the info about the Salish people.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

The Sliammon First Nation in the Powell River area is also from the Coast Salish group. - Margy

EG CameraGirl said...

I think the art of the West Coast First Nations is very attractive and rich with symbolism.