MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Eagles and a Kestrel

While I was out on Thursday and before I went to Whidbey Island to visit my Mother I cruised through the Valley to see any flooding and to check out the Eagles.  At least a zillion eagles and other Raptors were out that day.   The young immature in the tree I got about 20 feet from---well he was up a small tree---to get his underneath picture.   They never move when I get close.......well so far........
I hope you aren't tired of Eagle shots I could throw in a Gull picture though.  Next time!!  MB

 He's got lunch down there.
 Majestic!
 This guy I got real close to--right underneath of him.
Isn't this Kestrel (falco sparverius) just too cute.  They are very fast and expert hunters and hard to get a picture of one.  I believe this is a female.

20 comments:

VP said...

Don't post gulls, I have enough of them!

brattcat said...

I have a friend who is a wild bird rehabilitator. His children are named Kestril and Cooper.

Unknown said...

You are so lucky! These eagles are truly fantastic.

Lowell said...

I'm not tired of your eagle shots, I'm just jealous! Good grief, you have a plethora of eagle-shooting opportunities! That must be so much fun! I really love that first photograph...you've caught the majesty of the bird so well!

Kestrel? "Falco sparverius"? You are losing me with your avian knowledge! I'm gonna have to get a dictionary to read your blog posts! ;-)

How would you know a female kestrel from a wooden stove?

You had so many great comments this morning...I'm still laughing! Thank you...

And I'm glad your mom is doing well!

Halcyon said...

WOW! That eagle is HUGE! I have never seen one in the "wild". I am so envious of you. ;-)

Halcyon said...

PS: Keep posting the eagle shots. I agree with VP, can see gulls anytime. Eagles are a special treat.

Lois said...

I never get tired of the eagles!

George said...

I never get tired of seeing your pictures of eagles. They are fantastic. Your picture of the kestrel is great as well.

Gaelyn said...

I for one will never tire of your eagle captures. Not something I get to see everyday. The kestrel is a wonderful little bird.

Linda said...

I agree don't stop posting Eagle pictures.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Fabulous pictures, Mary Beth... That may be the BEST Eagle pictures you have gotten... WOW!!!!! And the little Kestrel is such a cute little bird. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

cieldequimper said...

I'm like VP. Winter = gulls fly up the Seine to Paris. Eagles? Nope! :-)

Elaine said...

Very nice shots of the eagles! I got some nice shots of eagles on Wednesday, but the rain seems to have settled in now. It looks like a good day for shopping. Maybe it will clear up later......Okay, that's probably just wishful thinking! But, the positive, I checked the temps at home and it's 39 below. The forecast says it will be warmer when we get home Monday night, but the weather guys may be lying again.

Anonymous said...

I'll never get tired of see Eagle pics... don't stop... you got the 411 on them!!! heheheee!

Majestic is absolutely right... I'd sooo love to hold & pat one! When I was in school, a Conservation guy brought one to show, but I didn't get to hold it... =(

Linda Reeder said...

Cool Kestrel shot. I don't think I've ever seen one.

Rose said...

I could never, ever get tired of pictures of eagles...seeing an eagle will forever give me a thrill.

Janice Thomson said...

I miss seeing those majestic eagles so never tire of your wonderful shots. Here the Kestrel is usually referred to as a Sparrow Hawk and there are lots of them!

EG CameraGirl said...

I will never tire of your eagle photos. I am however very jealous that you can get so close to them!

Sally in WA said...

Awesome pics, MB!

Anonymous said...

I never get tired of eagle shots!