MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Lummi Nation totems

This Totem Pole was carved by Master Carver Morrie Alexander. The Totem now rests at Semiahoo Park.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.




Morrie Alexander Lummi Nation Master Carver (file photo)

These are Totems on the Lummi Nation Reservation. I tried but couldn't find any info about the Totems.
We are Lummi. We are Coast Salish people with a rich history, culture and traditions. We are fishers, hunters, gatherers, and harvesters of nature's abundance. We envision our homeland as a place where we enjoy an abundant, safe, and healthy life in mind, body, society, environment, space, time and spirituality; where all are encouraged to succeed and none are left behind.


17 comments:

B SQUARED said...

I've always been fascinated by them.

brattcat said...

I saw quite a collection of these up in Alaska.

Lois said...

They are all just beautiful!

Lowell said...

What a wonderful series, Mary Beth! Totems have always fascinated me. These are excellent.

Thanks for your comment on Cedar Key...perfectly appropriate!

Rose said...

I really enjoyed these and enjoyed reading about the Raven and Salmon woman.

Lady Di Tn said...

I think totem poles are wonderful and each tells a story. We have broken cedar trees at the lake and I have always envisioned someone making a totem pole out of the large stumps. Peace

Gaelyn said...

Great post on totem poles. They are always a marvel to behold.

Anonymous said...

Quite elaborate carvings, for sure! An old boyfriend of mine carved one at the farm a long time ago, but it wasn't nothing like those & it's long gone now!

cieldequimper said...

Hello MB, this is a fantastic post. I love the description of the Coast Salish. I was fascinated with the few totem poles I saw in Seattle, Snoqualmie and... uh, I think that's it...

VP said...

A fascinating subject and a fine series, with plenty of information.

NitWit1 said...

Gorgeous totem poles. A trip to Areizona many years ago, the totem poles and Kachina dolls fascinated me.

Louis la Vache said...

Splendid carvings!

Don and Krise said...

I barely remember going with my parents to the Lummi reservation when I was about seven or eight. Love these totem poles.

EG CameraGirl said...

I love all the totem poles you have in your area!

George said...

The totems are beautiful and fascinating.

Linda Reeder said...

I am fascinated by totems and totem poles. The carvings are so beautiful, the stylistic designs are amazing, the colors subtle, and the stories they tell are wonderful.

Unknown said...

These are fantastic! I love totem poles but have just seen one so far at the British Museum in London and it's HUGE!