MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Heading home

I came home from Eastern Washington via the North Cascades High way. It is closed all winter because of the heavy snowfall. It opened the last week in April, so there is still plenty of snow around. It is a great place to go hiking---there are many trail heads. the first picture show where part of the road where I had been. Fun huh!! MB



11 comments:

cieldequimper said...

I have yet to drive along that road, thanks for showing it!

Jim Klenke said...

That does look like fun. Snow still there, neat.

Anonymous said...

This really reminds me of Glacier Park in Montana. There is a over-the-mountain highway that goes into Idaho (if I got my states right) and we were in Glacier Park in July one year and the road was closed due to snow sliding down the mountains onto the road. We did drive up part way and the kids went over to the snow and got a cup full to drink from the dripping water.

That was the year we wandered around in the park and my son (now 52 and just went back to his home in Florida after a visit) picked up round balls of dung and was putting them in his pockets.

And that was the same time of the year when a camper was killed and partially eaten by a huge bear. The camper never got out of his sleeping bag.

To think that we wandered around almost like we were at Disney World, safe from all things except the occasional pick pocket. I think we were lucky.

Your photo is remarkable in bringing back a lot of memories.

And, I just loved the way you described what grass is good for. It is a boon to fertilizer companies, ad agencies and lawn mower makers.

Lowell said...

I drove through there some 30 years ago!

What an incredible area.

Welcome home!

Sally in WA said...

I just love the North Cascades Highway. I am always glad when it reopens after the winter closure. Wasn't the snow at Washington Pass impressive this year? I couldn't believe how deep it was right in bend in the hairpin turn from the avalanches.

We should go up there and do a hike and take pictures sometime this summer. I'd even take a day off from work so we didn't have to deal with the weekend traffic.

EG CameraGirl said...

Looks like a scary highway to drive, MB. But the views are probably spectacular. ;-)

Janice Thomson said...

Mountains are truly beautiful when covered in snow - awesome shots.

Linda Reeder said...

That first photo is so dramatic. I guess I need to make a return visit.

Anonymous said...

Beauty Beauty Beauty at its finest!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow---what a gorgeous place to be and to drive. I'd love it!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Unknown said...

The 1st shot is absolutely gorgeous! It reminds me of the 'Shining' open scene! Ok, I know the snow has started after Jack Nicolson and family were at the hotel, but even so... :-)