
I have been hearing the Kildeer's (Charadrius vociferus) strident dee dee dee for awhile now but yesterday I got a pic of one. Even though they are residents here I don't hear or see them until Spring, running crazily around the pastures or in an open field by the water. I finally got a fair close-up of a smaller bird.

9 comments:
You sure did get a nice picture of a killdeer. I used to see these all the time when I was a boy and all the main roads were gravel or dirt. They would run along the edges of the roads where they built their nests or I should say laid their eggs that looked a lot like the pea gravel. Their crippled or broken wing runs were really an effort to get us to follow them away from their nests.
Nice shot there and it is a sign of spring. I hope so for us to as it is getting really old here with snow and ice almost every day.
Thanks for your visits to my blog.
Killdeer live across the road from my home...or at least they used to. A new subdivision is about to be built there so the kildeer may have abadoned their home. (sigh)
Nice shot!
That is a pretty bird,I don't think that we have those kind of birds here
Great shot! When I was a child living in Oregon, my little brother and I use to lay in the field and watch the killdeer search for bugs. They liked when the fields had been freshly plowed. More bugs, I suppose.
Never seen one of those around.
Nice photo.
i've never seen one of these before either.. very nice shot.
What a lovely bird. I'd never heard of it before today. Nice to read Abraham's comments. Lovely photo.
Nice photo! They may be prevalent in spring but they sure don't stay in one place very long at a time.
This is a great bird. I'd not heard of these until last week, I when and had a google for them and listened to their call..
Great capture.
Post a Comment