MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Friday, September 5, 2014

Lake Keechelus for Weekend Reflections

Keechelus Lake is a lake
and reservoir in Washington state.  It is the source of the Yakima River.   Keechelus Lake is the western lake of the three large lakes near I90 and north of the Yakima River in the Cascade Range. After crossing nearby Snoqualmie Pass , Interstate 90 runs along the eastern shoreline of Keechelus Lake.


Keechelus Lake is part of the Columbia River Basin, being the source of the Yakima River, which is tributary to the Columbia River.

The lake is used as a storage reservoir for the Yakima Project, an irrigation project run by the Bureau of Land Reclamation. Although a natural lake, Keechelus Lake's capacity and discharge is controlled by Keechelus Dam, a 128 foot (39 m) high earthfill structure built in 1917. As a storage reservoir, Keechelus Lake's active capacity is 157,900 acre feet (195,000,000 m³)
The name Keechelus comes from an Indian term meaning "few fish".

Here are some pictures I took Thursday

 Beautiful reflection
 The water was very low in the upper part of the lake when we were there and stumps can be seen. 
 Since this lake is a reservoir the water can be drawn down for
various uses.  

I am linking this to Weekend Reflections HERE

12 comments:

'Tsuki said...

Wow... What a perfect mirror... I love this serie, all of them ! Well done.

Rose said...

I would love to ramble along the edge of it...to see what I could see! It looks so quiet in your shots.

TexWisGirl said...

peaceful views.

William Kendall said...

Gorgeous reflections!

CDH said...

Good ole stump lake. Now I know the official name!

Lois said...

You really did get some good reflection shots there!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I've never seen the lake so low - guess it will fill once the rains come - but I'm glad for the nice weather we are having right now - may it continue!!! Fabulous photos.

Stewart M said...

Great pictures - love the fact that it means "few fish"!

Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

maryaustria said...

A beautiful landscape! The reflections are gorgeous!

Gaelyn said...

I've been by there many times and didn't know of it. Great reflections on the low lake.

Elaine said...

Beautiful reflections!

Deb said...

Us locals call it "Stump Lake". It was logged prior to 1920 using crosscut saws. You can still see springboard holes on some of the stumps. The water goes down to Yakima to water the fall crop of apples and pears. Thanks for sharing the photos!