MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Great Blue Heron~~~~~~~~~~~Wild bird Wednesday

Blue Herons (Ardea herodias)  are common to this area all year long and they are everywhere.  I have even seen one along side the freeway looking for a meal in the ditches.
 Looking for lunch in a water pool while the tide was out at Double Bluff on Whidbey Island
 It wasn't until I put the pics on the computer that I noticed a Killdeer on the pools edge.
 Striking gold  well something yummy I'll wager.
Time to go home these humans are bugging me

Maybe he;s off to visit Stewart and Wild Bird Wednesday Here

13 comments:

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

I love these bird because they are so elegant.

Rose said...

I think they stay around here where there is running water...but don't see them at the strip pits much after it gets real cold. And it is funny...some fly at the blink of an eye, and others don't seem bothered.

And the ones in California at that one park could have cared less...they would stroll by us within 10 or 12 feet and just stroll along. And not just us...other people were around. So, no one was being especially still or quiet. It was awesome.

TexWisGirl said...

i love when they hunt in the fields after a good rain. so cute. :)

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Great shots. I've seen them along the roads too - it always amazes me that they are ok with cars zipping by, but drive up slowly and quietly and away the go.

William Kendall said...

What a beauty. I think the ones around here are already gone for places a bit further south. I've always liked watching their intense concentration while fishing.

Ida said...

Herons are cool to see no matter if you've seen them before or not. Funny that they would even hunt in ditches. Loved that last in-flight shot.

Gaelyn said...

Herons are very cool. Have even seen them in South Africa.

eileeninmd said...

Wonderful series on the GB Heron! I always enjoy seeing them!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

You didn't mention the sky, and the great diamonds littering the water...great elements of these pictures too.

:O)

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

I've seen lots of posts lately about Great Blue Herons. Must the the time of year they are out and about. We had one visit the cabin last week, but I didn't get the camera fast enough for a shot. - Margy

Stewart M said...

I really like herons - I always feel that I have seen 'something' when I see a heron.

Emu is tasty - and for that reason I'm surprised they are still with us! Maybe they could run fast enough to keep the hunters at bay!

Cheers - Stewart M -Melbourne

EG CameraGirl said...

My camera cannot resist taking photos of Great Blue Herons!

Adam Jones said...

Always nice to see the Herons