The J.D. Keck building, constructed in 1911, housed two early Toppenish
businesses, a Chinese cafe and Mechtels Sugar Bowl Restaurant. In 1940,
the Mercy theatre chain opened the Pix Theatre. The 16 windows, painted
by Lisa Delisi, portray early lawyers, judges, and physicians who came
to town in the early 1900s. The building is downtown on S. Toppenish
Ave”.
Gambling has been a favorite activity of many cultures through the ages. "The Indian Stick Game" shows Northwest Indians gathered around to pit their wits and luck against one another. The age-old stick game was played by Indians at any function where they had the space and time. You can still see it played at modern day pow wows, including at the Indian Village during the Fourth of July Toppenish Pow Wow. Yakima artist Mavis Willson painted this mural at Top Cleaners, 11 Washington Ave.
To see more and interesting murals go to http://oaklanddailyphoto.blogspot.fr/
Gambling has been a favorite activity of many cultures through the ages. "The Indian Stick Game" shows Northwest Indians gathered around to pit their wits and luck against one another. The age-old stick game was played by Indians at any function where they had the space and time. You can still see it played at modern day pow wows, including at the Indian Village during the Fourth of July Toppenish Pow Wow. Yakima artist Mavis Willson painted this mural at Top Cleaners, 11 Washington Ave.
To see more and interesting murals go to http://oaklanddailyphoto.blogspot.fr/



17 comments:
Very interesting. I love the painted windows, such a fantastic idea. You should link this to Dawns Lingering Look at Windows challenge - her readers would love it. http://lingeringvisions.wordpress.com/category/thursday-lingering-look-at-windows/
Funny that in reality the building have no windows but from the outside it looks wonderful. Thanks for showing us.
I like murals like this one that reflect on past history of the region.
Those painted windows are so nice, you have to look twice to see it is not real.
Love the paintings in the windows.
neat murals! i really like the painted window scenes!
That mural is so unusual - fascinating! Gambling - it is so addicting in any culture.
What a mural!!!
The figures in the windows are wonderful because they help bring that old building back to life and give one a sense of what "it" was like way back when.
Of course, some of us (and I'm not mentioning any names) know first-hand what "it" was like way back when! :)
The gambling mural is also wonderful - vivid colors and the artist did a great job capturing the faces filled with various emotions.
That looks cool! If you didn't know it was a mural, it could freak you out!
Love all the ghosts from the past in the windows!
I think the window murals are fascinating. I've never seen anything like that before.
I've also never seen the stick game being played before.
I think this is a fantastic idea. What a great canvas for any artist!
I'd like to see this game in action. Interesting mural of a nontraditional topic. I think this is our first mural by an American Indian. Great find. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.
So many towns are starting collections of murals on buildings. I think it adds so much character and a bit of history, as you point out. - Margy
What a fabulous building! I hope it becomes a landmark--murals and all! Lovely work like this should be preserved. Thanks so much for sharing.
Our first fifth-wheel RV was made in Yakima (not there any more) and when we went there for some warranty repairs we went over to toppenish and toured those murals... really neat for a small town. Nice memories.
Post a Comment