Now that the rains have arrived with a vengeance and the mountains are full of snow (two ski areas opening next week) the creek is flowing again and the pond is filling up. So....the Koi have come back. The pond gets so low in the summer I worry about the Koi but the middle must be awful deep because there is no other place to go. These guys are very large---at least 14 to 18 inches long and very fat. I seldom feed them because the pond being a natural area provides them with plenty of food. Well at least they come when I whistle for them and then swim around and splash and show off. There are 14 fish that I have counted. Who knows what else is lurking. Check out the big mouth on that orange one.
It is hard to take pictures through the water and I am not getting underwater to take their pictures.
Do you like the last pic. My stylized Koi. MB
Please visit Lady Di and veiw her 1/2 price sale:http://kittyjustice.blogspot.com/




14 comments:
The Coy are beautiful. They almost remind me of those found in the waters of the moat surrounding the Emperor's Palace in Tokyo. Some of those are monsters.
My next insult to some smart a... is going to be: You're a big-mouthed koi!
Nah...they're very pretty. And being carp, quite hardy.
You just need a polarizing filter for your camera as that would let you look right through the water...
I want a koi pond. Not sure my other animals would like it. They are huge? Do they taste like chicken? :-)
I had a Koi pond at my first house. I really enjoyed them.
I love Koi, Mary Beth... Glad yours are BACK. They can be so much fun to watch since they are so colorful...
Great pictures..
Hugs,
Betsy
How Huge and colorful they are. Very cool that you don't have to feed them just whistle to get their attention. I saw 100s of them in the moat around the Colorado Belle in Laughlin. Their mouths are huge! Love what you did with the last image, very oriental looking.
They are huge! I would love to have a koi pond, but I'm afraid it would attract other less appealing creatures around here like snakes or maybe alligators.
I've tried to get pictures of koi and I know how difficult it is. You did a good job. I like your stylized koi.
It must be exciting to see them come back each year. What fun. It would be like having pets you don't have to take care of. I like your photos. The artistic one is nice where the bright orange blends with the blue, but I really like the real ones where I can observe the fish!
Now that one sure has a BIG mouth like you said! LoL!
I like all these pics, but I don't blame ya for not taking their pics 'underwater'!
Great Koi pictures. I like the last one
~~Hugs~~
Boy are they huge! I love the way you treated the last one too!
As a fish lover, I enjoy Koi very much. The last pic is so very cool!
So do they hang out in the mud during summer? You say "come back", but do they actually stay at the bottom of the pond? Are they OK when the pond freezes? The pond must be deep since they have escaped herons and raccoons.
Post a Comment