I think the water is a little high. It is a good thing they have a nice boat.

Derelict boats on the Samish. This is how I feel sometimes. LOL

The Samish River at Samish Bay.
The Samish River is approximately 25 miles long. The river drains an area of 139 square miles between the Skagit River basin on the south and the Nooksack River basin on the north. The Samish River originates on a low divide in Whatcom County, and its tributary, Friday Creek, originates in the hills south of Bellingham. The river continues its southwesterly flow through Skagit County and outlets into Samish Bay in Puget Sound.
The Samish River supports a large variety of fish and is home to one of Washington's larger fall King Salmon runs. The Samish River has runs of five Salmon and three trout species including: Spring/Winter Steelhead, Summer Sockeye, Fall Chinook/Chum/Coho, and year-round runs of Cutthroat, and Dolly Varden. Also documented are Pink Salmon which, while rare, do arrive in small numbers to spawn in the Samish.

Flooded cornfield

A whole raft of snoozing Sanderlings in a flooded field

Don't forget to click on any picture to enlarge it--specially the last one. See each one sleeping.

14 comments:
Fantastic post MB! The water does seem a bit high! I love derelict wooden boats, we still have what we call a few "boat graveyards" on the Atlantic coast where wooden boats slowly rot away. They are officially called "les carcasses" and I love them. The photo of the sanderlings is gorgeous! Have a great Sunday!
Thank you for this, MB! Quite a mighty river! I can't imagine building a house so close to flood stage! In Florida, we'd have that way up on stilts!
These are all great shots, but I really like the first two and the last - the sleeping birds; hilarious...and I'm impressed the way they blend in with their environment...for protection, perhaps?
Hope your day turns out to be spectacular!
The derilict boat photo would make a great postcard.Thanks for giving a little of the history of the area. I also have some Sweet Alyssum growing in my yard. Comes up year after year even if I tear it all out
Holy guacamole! All the Sanderlings is amazing! I, too, love the old boats. Wonder why we are drawn to them? We used to fish alot in Alaska. Miss fishing for Salmon & Dollys and filling the freezer.
Have a Happy Sunday!
*hugs*deb
thank you for Cyndar's well wishes :~)
Sure does look like extra deep water. Never could figure out why people build houses on a flood plain that close to a river. Really like the old boats. Don't think they'll be going anywhere real soon, unless it floods worse.
And Wow! That's a lot of sleeping sanderlings. Nice captures MB.
"Five foot high and rise'n."
Great pictures I love the last one all of those little birds look like a soft quilt.I agree with Joe the second one would make a great post card.
~~Hugs~~
Fantastic post !! Beautiful And lovely !! Thanks for sharing..Unseen Rajasthan
Well you are not so far away that you couldn't come for coffee. Lol.
If this rain in the Northwest doesn't let up a bit that house is going to wish it were on stilts.
One good high tide and they will be swamped.
Love these shots MB, all of them. Those birds make me chuckle for some reason.
I hope the respite from the rain lasts into the week. I could use some sun!
So we get to see what your house looks like. Its OK I guess, LOL.
That's a lot of birds.
You weren't making an overstatement about it being a raft of sanderlings!
It's sad to see the derelict boats. One wonders why they were wasted.
I think it's time for the skies to stop dumping on you!
The house looks lovely! Also like the old boats pic and the amount of birds is amazing!
Post a Comment