MY OTHER BLOG--TAKE A CHANCE

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Hibulb Center~~~~~~~~~~~~~Mosaic Monday

The Hibulb Center and Natural History Preserve mission is to revive, restore, protect, interpret, collect and enhance the history, traditional cultural values and spiritual beliefs of the Tulalip Tribes who are the successors in interest to the Snohomish, Snoqualmie and Skykomish tribes and other tribes and bands signatory to the Treaty of Point Elliott.
The Hibulb Cultural Center is approximately 23,000 square feet with a 50-acre natural history preserve. The interactive cultural center features a main exhibit, a temporary exhibit, two classrooms, a longhouse, a research library, and gift shop. It also features a fully certified collections and archaeological repository. It was the first Tribal facility certified by the state of Washington. 

 Tuesday Bob and I along with our treasured friend from France--VDP-- visited this center.  It was truly amazing. Top left-the beautiful carved front doors, next an actual carved cedar canoe used long ago and then the greeters at the door dressed in the style of the day and a replica of a longhouse with center fire where ceremonies and other family business went on---(sans the big screen of course).  There was so so much to see what I have pictured here is only a tiny tiny part.  More to come later on.

I am linking this to Lavender Cottage and Mosaic Monday HERE

14 comments:

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I find cultural centers like this one very interesting but most of the tribal nations you've mentioned are not familiar ones to me.
I hope you will share more of the Hibulb Center another time.
Thank you for linking to Mosaic Monday.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

gorgeous facility

that is pride in your culture, eh

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

What a very special place to visit. I love places that display history and culture and this is one I wish I had visited on my trips to Washington.

Snap said...

This is wonderful. So important to maintain the tribal histories and cultures. The tribes in the Pacific Northwest are especially interesting ... today and in the past. What a wonderful place this must be. I really like your mosaic. Happy Mosaic Monday.

EG CameraGirl said...

I think it's great that so much is being preserved under a roof for future generations (as well as our own) to see.

TexWisGirl said...

what a beautiful place! will enjoy seeing more!

Nancy Jo said...


Hi Mb,
Well I did it, I pushed the delete button, my blog is gone. It was just time, I had been thinking about it for a while. Kind of a funny feeling not having it. I won't be on the MJ site to much if at all because as you said I don't even know who most of the girls are. I will keep in touch with you. Hi to BOB.
Your pal Nancy Jo

William Kendall said...

I would enjoy it in there!

eileeninmd said...

A wonderful museum! So much to see , it is great the place has been preserved and restored! Pretty mosaic! Enjoy your week!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Even my small town now has a heritage centre. Always good to see local heritage preserved for future generations.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

HI, What a special place. The Hibulb Center looks to be a fantastic preserve. I've never heard of the Tulalip Tribes --but it's great that Washington is preserving their history/culture/beliefs, etc. SO NEAT..

Glad you could take your French friend there.

Hugs,
Betsy

Gaelyn said...

The wood work is spectacular. And this is obviously just a tease for what must be a very interesting cultural center.

Rose said...

That seems like a huge place!

Lois said...

I love places like this! I have also enjoyed seeing VDP's pictures as she was traveling in your part of the country. One day I hope to visit there myself!