Cle Elum is located in Upper Kittitas County. Kittitas County It is bordered on the north side by the Cle Elum Ridge and the south side by the South Cle Elum Ridge including Peoh Point. The Yakima River Runs through it and also Crystal Creek.
At the site of the future city, a Northern Pacific Railway station was named Clealum after the Kittitas name Tie-el-Lum, meaning "swift water", refering to the Cle Elum River. In 1908, Clealum was altered to Cle Elum. The name was given to the river, the city, and Cle Elum Lake.
Cle Elum was officially incorporated on February 12, 1902
The first picture shows modern day Cle Elum main street.
Next is a beautiful farm. Note the barn very full of hay.
See the goats up high on the hill.
This old irrigation flume is no longer in use.
Country fun on the river. Innertubing is always a blast.
On one part of Hyway 10 (The backroad to Ellensburg) are these sandstone cliffs. I found them interesting because they are nowhere else.







13 comments:
Those sandstone cliffs have really been washed away over the years and look really smooth so they must be very old.
I liked all of your photos. What a place you must live in. Not Hawaii but then I was in Hawaii 5 times during the Korean War. LOL Not sure I would want to go back again as it has changed a lot since I was there.
Thank you very much for visiting my Brookville Daily Photo blog and for the comment you left me there.
Brookville Daily Photo
I remember as a kid, going with the family from Tacoma over to Spokane to visit relatives. That old irrigation flume ran along the hillside for quite a ways. Great shots!
Lovely pictures! I haven't been tubing in years.
Great post! I especially enjoyed the two last photos.
The previous shots of the waterfall are wonderful!
So interesting, Mary Beth. Going tubing in the river looked like fun. I also liked seeing the sandstone cliffs..
Since I know nothing about the state of Washington, I decided to follow you on my Atlas. I found Cle Elum...
Thanks for taking me along.
Hugs,
Betsy
I like them all. You've caught the essence of a place and that's the best thing a photographer can do...I would think that river would be a mite cold to go tubing? Ah, well, they're young, they can take it!
I like all of your photos, MB. That river looks cooling. Tubing is always fun. The old flume is interesting. What a shame to see it disintegrating.
I love the wide streets of western towns. Our town streets look so narrow in comparison.
I haven't seen kids swimming with inner tubes for a long, long time. That's fun to see!
The trip looks good, so far.
Hmmm what an interesting photo tour of your trip. Love your shot of the herd of goats. The terrain looks super dry, expect that you were baking in the heat as we are now.
Oh and welcome back!
Roadtrippin' going great so far! Great pics too
These are beautiful photos of some wonderful scenery. Tubing certainly looks like a great way to cool off on a hot day.
Just can't get over how wide open the views are.
Post a Comment